Saturday, July 7, 2012

Tour de Fleece Week One in Review

AKA I made it a week without getting distracted and quitting WOOT!!

To the peeps reading this post on Dreamwidth - So as not to cram your friends list with post after post of my tiny increments of spinning progress, I decided to keep the daily progress posts my craft blog and only post weekly recaps here. In case you are curious (or stricken with horrid insomnia and think a week of watching yarn grow might be the cure) you can find my daily posts under the TDF tag at the craft blog

Random people who have wandered onto my blog (probably on accident, and either got lost or too distracted to wander back out) and stayed to read my blatherings - since I'm crossposting here too, you can think of this post as those annoying sportscasters who just keeps repeating everything you've already seen while stalling for more exciting action to come

(photos and more after the jump)

Days one through four were taken up spinning the 50/50 Merino/Tencel blend in the Cherry Cola colorway that I bought from Greenwood Fiberworks.

I took a progress photo for each day. Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead and take them all at the same angle/scale, but you can get the general idea.

After day four's spinning I decided to break the yarn and finish what I had, all 17ish yards of it. It only weighed in at 9.7g, and I forgot to check the WPI before I wound it pretty so I have no idea what weight it is.
Oh yeah, I'm a super special spinner.
To spite my shortcomings, I think it came out beautifully.

I'm almost halfway to what I need to knit that cup cozy, so that's something, right?

On day five I wanted to try something different (one of the reasons I had decided to finish up what I'd spun with the other fiber) my goal was to spin the BFL I had bought (same seller, this colorway is called rosewood)

This time I planned to spin it thin enough that I could try plying without ending up with massively bulky yarn.
Backup plan - end up with massively bulky yarn, knit a coaster and pretend it was totally on purpose.

The last three days were more productive than the first four. This was partly because I was spinning for longer each day, and partly because the BFL is just easier for me to work with. The yarn started out a bit heavier than I'd like, but by the third day it was closer to where I'm aiming for. I'm still going to try to ply it when I get enough spun up, and hoping it "works"
When I took what I've spun so far off the spindle it weighed in at 14.8g, I won't know the length until after plying.

No comments:

Post a Comment