Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beehive Tea Cozy - DONE!

And with that, all three goals for the Ravellenic Games finished. I even had a couple hours to spare :D





This was for the Homestuff Hammerthrow event of the Games, and was part of the British side competition between our team (Sherlocked) and Team TARDIS.

This was meant to be my easiest project of the three, but it ended up being a bit of a pain. Between my yarn choice, oddly shaped teapot and basic pattern issues ... It was interesting. Even now that it's done I can say I think it's cute as hell, but not terribly practical. Good thing it's purely decorative (I use the French press for my loose leaf and just make it by the cup for tea bags)

I ended up hating the flowers that were in the pattern, they look like freakish yarny nipples to me.



So I ditched them and instead made a big Gebera daisy - pattern here - that I love.



The bees are really cute, the only mod on them was to knit them in fingering weight yarn on size 1 needles to make then smaller.

The bee skep itself I tried to make narrower and taller to fit my teapot. I'm calling it close enough, but it could be better. If I were actually going to use it regularly I would reknit it larger (and use wool instead of acrylic)

With the giant flower, there wasn't anywhere to fit the 'door' in without making it seem crammed in. I decided to leave it off instead.

Final verdict on the project? Adorable but impractical. Luckily for me cute was my primary objective!

No comments:

Post a Comment